Sauce Magazine names its picks for St. Louis' best new restaurants of 2021
Despite an ongoing global pandemic, St. Louisans persevered in 2021 and opened new restaurants to satisfy local appetites.
Nine of the establishments particularly wowed the staff at Sauce Magazine this year. And on Tuesday’s St. Louis on the Air, Meera Nagarajan, executive editor of Sauce Magazine, revealed why these restaurants stood out.
As for the No. 1 pick — Root Food + Wine in Augusta, Missouri — Nagarajan said it’s worth the drive.
“Everything was done with intention and a lot of thought,” she said.
Here are Sauce’s best new restaurants of 2021, in order:
- Root Food + Wine, 5525 Walnut St., Augusta, MO 63332
- Tai Ke Shabu Shabu, 9626 Olive Blvd., Olivette, MO 63132
- Songbird, 4476 Chouteau Ave., St. Louis, MO 63110
- Pizzeria da Gloria, 2024 Marconi Ave., St. Louis, MO 63110
- Rockwell Beer Garden, 5300 Donovan Ave., St. Louis, MO 63109
- This Sunday is the last day the beer garden is open for the season. It will reopen in March 2022.
- Chez Ali, inside Food Hall at 3730 Foundry Way, St. Louis, MO 63110
- Chicken Scratch, inside Food Hall at 3730 Foundry Way, St. Louis, MO 63110
- Clara B’s Kitchen Table, food truck
- Chuck’s Hot Kitchen, 11648 Dorsett Road, Maryland Heights, MO 63043
Listen to the full conversation:
“St. Louis on the Air” brings you the stories of St. Louis and the people who live, work and create in our region. The show is hosted by Sarah Fenske and produced by Alex Heuer, Emily Woodbury, Evie Hemphill, Lara Hamdan and Kayla Drake. Jane Mather-Glass is our production assistant. The audio engineer is Aaron Doerr.