© 2023 St. Louis Public Radio
Play Live Radio
Next Up:
0:00 0:00
Available On Air Stations

Carbon Monoxide Blamed in Three Deaths in Cuba, Mo.


Cuba, Mo. – Police believe carbon monoxide from a furnace killed three people, including two children, in a Cuba. Mo. home.

It's possible the family had been breathing in carbon monoxide since last Thursday. It wasn't until Sunday that relatives found the family in their home.

Mathew Putman, 10, Samuel Putnam, 11 and their father, Harry Putnam, 34. were pronounced dead at the scene.

Debra Putnam,30, and nine-year-old son Jacob were airlifted to a hospital.

Authorities believe carbon monoxide from the furnace is to blame. On Thursday, Harry Putnam told relatives the whole family was sick from what they thought was the flu. Symptoms for flu and carbon monoxide poisoning are similar.