© 2023 St. Louis Public Radio
Play Live Radio
Next Up:
0:00 0:00
Available On Air Stations
KWMU FM in the Metro area will experience intermittent outages this week following a power surge. Listen via our livestream above.

ABB shooter fired hundreds of rounds

A police officer on the scene of Thursday's shooting at ABB Incorporated
(UPI photo/Bill Greenblatt)
A police officer on the scene of Thursday's shooting at ABB Incorporated

By Rachel Lippmann, St. Louis Public Radio

St. Louis – St. Louis police say the shooter at a factory in north St. Louis fired hundreds of rounds before turning a gun on himself.

Fifty-one-year-old Timothy Hendron was carrying four guns and hundreds of rounds of ammunition when he opened fire Thursday on fellow employees at ABB Incorporated, said Captain Michael Sack, the commander of the department's Division of Crimes Against Persons and Property. Police recovered an assault rifle, a shotgun, and two handguns from Hendron's body. They are not yet sure who owned the weapons.

The investigation is a priority of the department, Sack said, but detectives may never be able to answer some questions.

"I'm sure you want to share with the community some answers, especially why this happened, to help put them at ease, but we don't have an answer to that at this time," he said.

Investigators do now know if Hendron was targeting specific people, Sack said. They will be looking at video surveillance evidence to track some of Hendron's movements, but in preliminary interviews, witnesses and victims said they continued to hear gunfire as they fled Hendron.

Hendron was scheduled to be at work on Thursday at the plant, which makes electrical transformers.

"He had Dockers and a button-down collared shirt, a ball cap," Sack said. "He did have a fanny pack where he had dump pouches and where he kept his magazine and ammunition."

Police recovered a third handgun that may have belonged to another employee, Sack said, but they do not know if that weapon was fired.

Sack said Switzerland-based ABB Incorporated is cooperating fully with the investigation and has opened up its human resources files. In a statement, ABB CEO Joe Hogan expressed his sympathy to the victims.

Police have identified the eight who were shot. They are:

  1. 57-year-old Carlton Carter of St. Louis, who was found dead outside the building, as was Terry Mabry, a 55-year-old from Moscow Mills.
  2. Cory Wilson, a 27-year-old Collinsville native who worked last year with the Collinsville High School football team. He was found dead inside the building.
  3. 51-year-old Darrell Buckley of St. Louis was admitted to the hospital Thursday in critical condition with gunshots to the abdomen, chest and knee. A 55-year-old from O'Fallon, Mo., Stephen Sharp, was also admitted in critical condition with gunshot wounds to the abdomen.
  4. 51-year-old Keith Garner of Florissant suffered multiple gunshot wounds to the leg. He was admitted in fair condition, as was 56-year-old John Green of Ferguson, who was shot in the arm.
  5. The final victim, 56-year-old Jerry Brown of St. Louis, was treated for a gunshot wound to the leg and released on Thursday.


Send questions and comments about this story to feedback@stlpublicradio.org.