© 2023 St. Louis Public Radio
Play Live Radio
Next Up:
0:00 0:00
Available On Air Stations

Morning headlines: Wednesday, September 12, 2012

(via Flickr/Indofunk Satish)

Last of escapees captured

The last of five men who escaped from the Pike County Jail last weekend is back in custody. Pike County Sheriff Stephen Korte says 40-year-old William John Thomas Wilkerson of Florissant was captured overnight in St. Louis County. Korte says Wilkerson was caught after someone called police to report a suspicious person at an apartment complex. He was arrested without incident.

Wilkerson and four other men escaped from the jail in Bowling Green on Saturday after removing a shower head and getting into a service area. Jail officials didn't discover the escape until a relative of one of the inmates called Saturday evening. Three other inmates were captured in Oklahoma early Monday and the fourth was captured later Monday in a rural area near Bowling Green.

St. Louis police search for man in Forest Park attack

St. Louis Police continue to search for a man who reportedly attacked a woman last night in Forest Park. According to the St. Louis Post-Dispatch, a woman was jogging on the running path in the park that runs along I-64 near the south parking lot of the zoo when the attacker struck her at about 8:45. The woman says he then pushed her to the ground and threatened to kill her. She was able to fight him off and call police from a nearby gas station.

Police are classifying the incident as an attempted rape.

The 27-year-old woman did not suffer severe injuries.

After the reported attack, police began a manhunt that involved dogs, police on horseback, even a helicopter.

St. Louis man pleads guilty in Clayton bombing

A St. Louis man has pleaded guilty to charges in a 2008 bombing at a Clayton parking garage that injured one man. The U.S. Attorney's office says in a release Tuesday that 41-year-old Milton Ohlsen III pleaded guilty to four felony counts, including transporting an explosive with intent to injure and malicious use of an explosive device.

Prosecutors say Ohlsen admitted concealing the device in a gift basket and placing the basket next to a car he believed belonged to the intended victim. The bomb exploded at the garage, injuring Clayton lawyer John L. Gillis.  Authorities believe the bombing was intended for the attorney who represented Ohlsen's former wife in their divorce. He drove an Acura similar to one driven by Gillis.

Ohlsen's sentencing is Dec. 13.

Follow St. Louis Public Radio on Twitter: @stlpublicradio