© 2023 St. Louis Public Radio
Play Live Radio
Next Up:
0:00 0:00
Available On Air Stations

Funeral for Henry Townsend on Monday


St. Louis, MO – There will be a funeral Monday for legendary blues musician Henry Townsend.

The blues guitarist, pianist and singer died last week in Wisconsin, where he was to be honored at a blues fest. Townsend was 96.

The funeral will be at Mount Nebo Missionary Baptist Church (4981 Theodore Avenue) in north St. Louis.

Townsend moved to St. Louis when he was a boy and wrote and performed hundreds of songs and recorded every decade since the 1920s.

"He was the patriarch of St. Louis blues," said Mark O'Shaughnessy, president of BB's Jazz, Blues and Soups. "He wasn't in it for the money. He believed in the music. It told a very honest story."

Townsend, living in the same brick bungalow he shared for 40 years with his late wife, Vernell, who performed with him, was in Grafton, Wis. to be honored as the last surviving artist with the old Paramount Records. The label recorded one-fourth of all the blues material produced from 1929 to 1932, including "race records" by black artists for black audiences.

He arrived Thursday, and was hospitalized Friday evening. The Grafton Blues Association brought a plaque honoring him to his hospital room hours before he died.

"He was quite a guy," the group's president, Kris Marshall, said. "We listened to his stories. He was very excited to be back here."

Townsend was born in Shelby, Miss., grew up in Cairo, Ill., and left for St. Louis as a 9-year-old to avoid a whipping from his father, after he had "blown some snuff," he told The Associated Press in an interview in June.

He said his father played a button box accordion, but young Henry loved the guitar, and bought himself one. He also learned the piano.

While working as a shoe shine boy in St. Louis, he came to know a generation of piano players who had grown up on ragtime and were teaming up with guitarists to experiment with the blues.

He decided on a career in blues guitar after hearing budding bluesman Lonnie Johnson, the Jimi Hendrix of the 1920s, perform in the old Booker T. Washington Theater in St. Louis.

"He had fiddled with it before, but when he saw Lonnie, he knew it could be a lifetime pursuit," said Kevin Belford, St. Louis blues historian. "Henry made the decision to make it his career."

In the 1930s, Townsend played with blues greats Roosevelt Sykes, Walter Davis and Robert Johnson at neighborhood parties and fish fries. Townsend recalled they'd "jam up and down the street" on top of a coal-hauling truck during the Depression to help raise rent money for people being evicted. "If you got $2 to play somewhere, you were doing well," Townsend recalled.

In those days, record label scouts gathered up local musicians in cities like St. Louis, and took them to a studio for a recording session, Belford said.

Townsend and other blues musicians deemed worthy of studios' investment survived the Depression. But they fell into near oblivion when the juke box replaced live music, and the materials needed for the war effort slowed down the record industry.

It wasn't until the late 1950s, when the old blues "race records" were rediscovered during a growing folk revival, that Townsend, Lonnie Johnson, Big Joe Williams and others found renewed popularity. They toured the U.S. and Europe and found new audiences, Belford said.

Townsend, who won a National Heritage Award in 1985 that recognized his being a master artist, never stopped performing. He told the AP he'd paid a price for staying in St. Louis, and lost some good breaks, but had no regrets.

"I never had an agent in my life," he said. "Just being me has got me where I am."

Townsend is survived by three children.