Explosion in Suburban St. Louis Was Caused by Natural Gas
Jefferson City, MO – State investigators on Wednesday blamed natural gas escaping from a service line for an explosion that destroyed a house in suburban Manchester in December.
Four people were injured in the explosion.
The Missouri Public Service Commission says pressure from tree roots forced a service line to pull out of its connection to the gas main. The gas migrated into the house, ignited, causing the explosion.
The report also said a joint in the service line was improperly assembled when installed 30 years ago.
The state wants Laclede Gas to pay penalties. Laclede, though, says the event was isolated; it says it's working to address the state's recommendations.