St. Louis Schools to Get No Released Education Money
By Tom Weber, KWMU
St. Louis, MO – The St. Louis School District said Monday it will get almost none of the money Governor Bob Holden released for schools last week.
The governor released $120 million that he had previously withheld. He had withheld the money because he says he wasn't sure the state had the money. A delayed court case settlement was a big reason for his release of the funds, his office said last week.
But St. Louis district officials say the extra funds are still less than what the district is already guaranteed from the desegregation settlement. Because it's a so-called "hold harmless" district, it will probably not see any new money.
Financial Officer Harry Rich says St. Louis Schools might even lose money because they may have to send more to city charter schools.
The only new money might be a small increase for bus services.
The district is currently trying to plug a $23 million budget gap.